Diocese of Virginia
Above one of the doors entering the narthex is a stone carving of the Old Seal of the Diocese of Virginia, whose roots date from the first Eucharist celebrated in Jamestown in 1607. The seal, designed by the Rt. Rev. Robert Atkinson Gibson for the 1907 General Convention that met in Richmond, is instructive of the origin and history of the Diocese of Virginia. It depicts a bishop’s miter (hat), colonial sailing ships, crosses, keys (alluding to teaching authority), and crossed swords (indicating a readiness to fight evil). The Latin inscription Confitemini Domino means “Give Glory to the Lord.” The flag beside the lectern displays the most recent revision of the diocesan symbol.